Food on a plate shouldn’t move.

NPR’s Robert Kruhlwich presents an interesting (and somewhat ghoulish) take on the action of electrical impulses on muscle tissue:

The first time this was done, it was an accident. Luigi Galvani, a professor in Bologna, was playing around with electricity, not salt. He had placed a frog’s leg on an electrically wired surface attached to two batteries and when he accidently touched an inner nerve with his scalpel, “its muscles not only contracted violently,” says historian Patricia Fara, they also “kept time with sparks being discharged from the machine.”

The frog looked frighteningly alive as long as the current flowed. Galvani was among the first to see that electricity can move through the moist, muscle tissue of the frog, but the frog was only an hors d’oeuvre. People have imaginations. People are ghouls.

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s